Whether hiking the Meewasin Trail, skiing the latest snow park at Optimist Hill or touring Wanuskewin Heritage Park with winter-loving friends, you’ll find there’s no shortage of ways to enjoy Saskatoon’s winter season. Here are a few tips for getting out into nature and enjoying them all.
The most important part of adventuring in winter is to be prepared. Making the most out of this season means having the right clothing – so bundle up and get cozy before making your way out the door. Saskatoon has many shops specializing in outdoor adventure clothing/gear; some of our favourites are Escape Sports, Outtabounds and Outter Limits. A new shop recently opened in Saskatoon that offers consignment outdoor gear, making adventuring a little more pocket-friendly for those looking to expand their activities outdoors this season.
Now that you’re bundled and ready to go, the next step is equipment. For those new to winter adventures, try rental options, to test out your favourite activities and find the perfect fit. Escape Sports offers rentals from November to April of each year – to enjoy cross-country skis, snowshoes, snowskates, hok skis or kick sleds for the day or a full week.
You’re all set, now where to? Here are 5 options to enjoy winter in Saskatoon:
1) Take a walk, enjoy cross country skiing or kick sledding on the Meewasin Trail
2) Go ice skating at the Cameco Meewasin Skating Rink or Clarence Downey Speed Skating Oval – a fun activity for the entire family.
3) Tour Wanuskewin Heritage Park, with an afternoon of snowshoeing.
4) Visit Pest Hill for an evening of tobogganing or snow skating.
5) Discover a variety of outdoor adventures at Optimist Hill including downhill skiing, snowboarding, snowskating and tubing!
There are plenty of opportunities to explore all that Saskatoon has to offer in these cold months and, with the right gear and a little direction, winter can be a season of exhilarating fun!